Breaking News
Home / LATEST NEWS / At Least Nine People Confirmed Dead In Maiduguri Blast
NEMA also confirmed the death toll in Maiduguri.

At Least Nine People Confirmed Dead In Maiduguri Blast

Nine persons lost their lives with twenty-four (24) persons injured and evacuated to various Hospitals from the two scene of the explosion in Maiduguri, in the early hours of Saturday.

maiduguri-explosion

The the first incident of the explosion occurred at the entrance to Bakassi IDPs and the second at NNPC station along Damboa road in Maiduguri.

The Nigerian Army and NEMA officials confirmed the deaths the nine persons in  the twin blasts.

Col. Mustapha Anka, the Deputy Director, Army Public Relations Department, stated this in Maiduguri.

”At about 7.05 a.m. this morning, there were twin simultaneous suicide bomb explosions at the entrance of Bakassi Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs) camp and NNPC Mega Filling Station, Damboa Road, Maiduguri.”

“At the Bakassi IDPs camp, a suspected female suicide bomber ran into a group of men and women at the entrance while they were coming out of the camp, killing 5 men and injuring 11 women.”

“The bodies of the  dead men and the injured women have been evacuated.”

“At the NNPC, a female suicide bomber followed a fuel tanker in Keke NAPEP tricycle with the sole aim of gaining entry to cause maximum damage and casualty but was prevented from gaining access to the station by another vehicle.”

According to him, the suicide bomber exploded killing the three occupants of the tricycle with no report of injuries.

He said that the Acting General Officer Commanding (GOC), Brig.-Gen. Victor Ezugwu had already visited the scene to get first class information.

“The Acting GOC 7 Division has already visited the place and appealed to the people to be calm as concerted efforts were on to ensure the safety of lives and property.”

“Troops and security agencies have been mobilised and the injured have been evacuated while efforts are ongoing to comb the general area as well as entries and exits of Maiduguri.”

“While we commiserate with the families of the late victims of this cruel act and wish those who were injured speedy recovery, we would like to assure the public that efforts are ongoing to track those behind the dastardly acts.

“However, it is equally important to reiterate the need for more vigilance and security consciousness among all. Citizens are enjoined to report any suspicious persons or movements to the security agencies,” he said.

Source: NTA.

About Dr. Idris Ahmed

Dr. Idris Ahmed is the President and founder of the CUPS organisation. He is a Cryptologist (Mathematical science of designing and breaking computer security systems). He is the founder and Chief Executive officer of Tecomex Forensics Ltd (www.tecomex-forensics.com). He is passionate about fighting corruption, enhancing democracy, and establishing good governance in Nigeria. He is the Editor in Chief of the cupstv.com website.

Check Also

Militancy And National Security: The Negotiation Option

The recent release of 21 of well  over 200 abducted Chibok school girls has dramatically …