The Presidency has confirmed that Boko Haram insurgents have released 21 of the more than 200 abducted Chibok Schoolgirls.
According to the Senior Special Adviser Media to the President, Malam Garba Shehu, the girls are in the custody of the Directorate of State Services (DSS). He confirmed the release of the girls in his twitter handle on Thursday.
An online platform, Sharareporter had reported the release of the girls, saying that said Boko Haram militants dropped the schoolgirls off earlier on Thursday.
The release of the 21 girls comes as President Muhammadu Buhari began a three-day trip to Germany, it said.
President Buhari, according to Saharareporter is going to Germany to discuss assistance for the rebuilding of the northeastern part of Nigeria ravaged by Boko Haram.
More than 270 girls were abducted on 14th April, 2014 at the Government Girls Secondary School, Chibok in Borno State.
The girls were reported to be writing their final exit examination when the insurgents burst into their hostel in the middle of the night and abducted them. Some of them had escaped, leaving no fewer than 219.
The Nigeria government had adopted both diplomacy and military force, but had yet to rescue the schoolgirls. The abduction had invoked world outrage.
Information and culture minister Lai Mohammed recently explained that the government had made three diplomatic moves to secure at least 50 of the schoolgirls.
He reported that the government went to the extent of trying to exchange some Boko Haram sect prisoners for the girls as requested by the leadership of the insurgents. All the three attempts failed because the insurgents failed to honour the meetings for the exchange.
Chibok-based Socio-cultural group on the platform of Kibaku Area Development Association, had commended the willingness of the federal government to negotiate and secure release of abducted schoolgirls from Boko Haram.
“Kubaku” is the umbrella of the Chibok communities which include Ymir Ali,Njoma, Gwandan Rimirgu, Mikabu as well as Chanchan bulguma in Askira Uba axis of southern Borno.
The National Secretary of Kubaku, Mr Muhammad Askira, made the commendation in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in Maiduguri.
Askira said that the hope of the parent and to reuniting with their wards was redeemed following the pronouncement of the federal government to negotiate with Boko Haram.
“It is the obligation of the federal government to use every available opportunity given to secure the rescue of our daughter.
“If the Boko Haram are sincere with what they have said, we believed our girls would be surely rescued.
“We are forever indebted and grateful to President Muhammadu Buhari for his empathy, commitment and political will in the fight against the insurgency.